Jewish Voice for Peace and Race Baiters Interrupt Auschwitz Liberation Recognition

There’s hope. I was about to give up. Even a Democrat Jew from Brooklyn gets it. During a January 2015 Israeli-American Council (IAC) meeting in New York City, pro-Palestinian thugs and thugstanistas protested from the balcony of the City Hall Chamber, waving the Palestinian flag, and yelling “Palestinian lives matter,” “Don’t support genocide,” and named one Council member, Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, calling her a “hypocrite. At the time, a vote was underway on commemorating the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. New York Daily News reports “a few dozen” protesters were forced to leave, “some physically removed.” Councilman David Greenfield gave an empassioned and masterful retort. Video below and transcript below.

New York Daily News caption: Pam Sporn and other Israel critics outside City Hall, after being kicked out of a City Council meeting. Photo by Anthony Delmundo

New York Daily News caption: Pam Sporn and other Israel critics outside City Hall, after being kicked out of a City Council meeting. Pam Sporn is identified as being part of the Jewish Voice for Peace. Photo by Anthony Delmundo

The members of the Israeli-American Council were planning a trip to Israel in February 2015, paid for by the Jewish Community Relations Council, and the UJA Federation (United Jewish Appeal) of New York.

In the video below, council member David Greenfield (D-Brooklyn) said this:

Thank you Madam Public Advocate. You know, I’ve waited my turn here. I’ve followed protocol on the New York City Council, and haven’t spoken out because I respect this Chamber. I

David Greenfield, Israeli-American Council

David Greenfield, Israeli-American Council

have to tell you, you know, that I’m still shaken to my core. I’m upset, I’m angry, but I’ll tell you honestly, that I’m actually somewhat pleased at what we saw here today. If you’re wondering why I’m saying that, it’s because for the last few weeks, we’ve heard from people who said, ‘Oh, we don’t dislike Jews. We only dislike the State of Israel. We have no problem with you. We simply don’t want you to go to Israel. But we know that’s not really at the core of what they are saying, and today they proved it.

While we were discussing a resolution regarding the murder of 1.1 million human beings–I will point out that 90 percent of them were Jewish, but the other 10 percent were political dissidents. They were Jehovah’s Witnesses, they were gays. Those were the people who were being killed together in Auschwitz-Birkenau. While we were discussing that, they had the nerve, the chutzpah, the temerity, to unfurl the Palestinian flag, and to yell at us while we were discussing that.

And so, the reason I’m pleased is that we can stop pretending that this is about Israel, when the reality is that every Middle Eastern country that is in existence today is not democratic, persecutes people of other faiths, and persecutes gays, and persecutes others who disagree with them, and persecutes people on Twitter, and persecutes women who drive, EXCEPT FOR ONE COUNTRY, which is the State of Israel, and so what you saw here today was naked, blind anti-Semitism. That’s what you saw. That’s what you watched, that’s what you witnessed; people who are upset for one reason.

You want to know why they’re angry? You want to know why they’re unfurling that flag today? Because Hitler did not finish the job. He only wiped out half of my family, and only by the grace of God is the other half, me, the grandchild, still alive today, that’s why those people are upset.

Shame on them. Shame on them for hating Jews. Shame on them for hating people. Shame on them for disrespecting the most diverse, democratically-elected body in the United States of America, and that’s why we go to Israel. We go to Israel to make a message that is clear, that we will not be cowered by this fear, and by this hatred that we have, where these are people that would celebrate the death of Jews, rather than mourn the death of innocents.

I am embarrassed at what happened here today, but I’m pleased that we finally see what this is all about–good, old-fashioned anti-Semitism. Thank you.

 

Linked at BadBlue, the baddest, uncensored news, 24/7. Read it here.

If you would like to receive Maggie’s Notebook daily posts direct to your inbox, no ads, no spam, EVER, enter your email address in the box below.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 957 other subscribers