First, let me say the word “shocking” in the title line is mine. Congressman Trey Gowdy (R-SC) walked quickly to the podium, put his papers down and began. He quoted all of Obama’s boastful and autocratic comments saying he would get to the bottom of Benghazi and then, Gowdy spoke directly to the press. I’ve transcribed that portion along with the video below, and I have added the numbering. When he was finished, he left just as quickly as he arrived.
I’m going to ask you some questions and if you can’t answer these questions, then I’ll leave you to draw whatever conclusion you want to draw, about whether or not the media has provided sufficient oversight [on Benghazi].
1. Can you tell me why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi the night that he was killed? [silence] Do you know? [silence] Does it bother you whether or not you know why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi?
2. Do you know why we were the last flag flying in Benghazi after the British had left and the Red Cross had been bombed? [silence]
3. Do you know why additional requests for security were denied? [silence] Do you why an Ambassador asking for more security, days and weeks before he was murdered and those requests went unheeded? Do you know the answer to why those requests went unheeded?
4. Do you know why no assets were deployed during the siege? I’ve heard the explanations, which defy logic, frankly, that we couldn’t have gotten there in time, but you know, they didn’t know when it was going to end, so how can you possible cite that as an excuse?
5. Do you know whether the President called any of our allies and said, can you help? We have men under attack. Can you answer that? [silence]
6. Do any of you know why Susan Rice was picked? The Secretary of State did not go. She says she doesn’t like Sunday talk shows. That’s the only media venue she doesn’t like, if it’s true. Why was Susan Rice on the five Sunday talk shows? [silence]
7. Do know the origin of this mythology that it was spawned as a spontaneous reaction to a video? Do you know where that started? Do you know how we got from no evidence of that, to that being the official position of the administration?
8. In conclusion, Congress is supposed to provide oversight. The voters are supposed to provide oversight, you are supposed to have oversight. That’s why you have special liberties and that’s why you have special protections.
I am not surprised that the president of the United States called this a phony scandal. I’m not surprised that Secretary Clinton asked “what difference doe it make…. I’m not even surprised that Jay Carney said it happened a long time ago.
I’m just surprised how many people bought it.
Trey Gowdy Challenges the Press on Benghazi (video)
If you would like to receive Maggie’s Notebook daily posts direct to your inbox, no ads, no spam, EVER, enter your email address in the box below.