Just want to say hello after disappearing mid-week before Christmas. Family from out-of-town arrived about that time to be here for a Christmas Party Sunday evening that has been a tradition since before I was born (yes…really, that long!). My grandparents started the gatherings, originally on Christmas Eve. Only two from
the early parties are still with us, my Mother and my Aunt. As the family grew and small children came along, church activities on Christmas Eve intervened, so we moved the party to the Sunday before Christmas unless that Sunday happens to be Christmas Eve, in which case we move it back another week. We play the Dirty Santa game (or whatever the name) – the one where everyone brings a gift of $10-$15. The plan is, usually, the girls bring something girly, the boys something manly. You can steal a gift three times and then it’s frozen. The overwhelmingly, most popular gift this year was a pair of Duck Dynasty Camo house shoes with the face of Uncle Si (I’m told) on the toes, complete with wire rim glasses. A 12-year-old proudly left the party wearing them.
On that Friday Tulsa had one of its ice storms and there was no thawing until Christmas Eve, and then it took several days. Our roads were clear but trees and electrical lines were heavy with ice. Many were without power. When we arrived at my cousin’s for “the party,” it looked like a silvery, shimmery scene from a movie or a Christmas card, especially with a street lamp near one of his enormous (huge) old (very old) trees. Wish I had a photo but all I can offer is my Weeping Youpon and tub of Rosemary.
My brother and his family left on Monday morning before Christmas heading for the East coast and Christmas with more family. Our son arrived from L.A. that same night.
Tonight my Rosemary looks healthy. When I ran my fingers along one stalk a few minutes ago, the needles were ripe with intoxicating Rosemary oil.
The ice did cause some internet connection problems due to weather, but I wasn’t online anyway. When all was back-up and running, I found that I was given an Honorable Mention by the outstanding Watchers of Weasels Council. I’ve added the nominations and winners below – excellent reading for the week after all the holiday bustle, and my apologies for being so very tardy.
We’ve seen two movies in the last two days: American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave (a true story). Very different movies. Loved them both. The latter cut right to the heart when a certain person did not walk toward “him.” If you’ve seen it, you’ll know what I’m referring to. If not, I haven’t given it away. Christian Bale is the lead in American Hustle and honestly, I loved his performance. Loved the performance of everyone in it. Bale had to put on many, many pounds for this part. He was hardly recognizable, but his performance was superb. It’s a fun, intriguing movie.
I’m hoping all my online friends had a wonderful Christmas and very happy holidays. Pardon me while hubby and I catch up on more movies and other activities with our son through New Year’s Day. I’ll be blogging but sporadicly until 2014 arrives. Thank You to findalis for sharing her work here while I was away. Visit her at Monkey in the Middle (do you know what a “large group of baboons are called?” Read it here.
- Liberty’s Spirit – 6-Year-old Suspended for Kissing a Girl: Too Much, Yet Not Enough
- The Noisy Room – Inside the Empire of Horror
- The Political Commentator – The Ghost of Obamacare Yet to Come: UK healthcare in shambles!
- The Razor – The Keys to the Kingdom Should Not Be Available to the Peasants
- Simply Jews – Obama’s handshake with Raul Castro: the alternatives
- Joshuapundit–“American Betrayal”.. A Review
- The Mellow Jihadi – Fargham, Iranian space monkey (& friends)
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – War Weary Myth
- The Colossus of Rhodey – “Horrible person”
- Rhymes With Right – A Dozen Candidates In Congressional District 36 GOP Primary
- Nice Deb – ObamaCare Whistleblower: I was Told IRS Harassment ‘Came From The Top’ (Audio)
- The Glittering Eye –The Reality Sinks In
- The Right Planet – I Don’t Believe In Defeat
- VA Right! – Snowden Revisited: Hero or Zero Now?
- Bookworm Room – To sell their ideas, conservatives must first re-train Americans to recognize their humanity
- Ask Marion – Still Think There Is No War on Christmas-WoC 2013
- Maggie’s Notebook – IRS Targeting Now ‘Reverse-Engineered’ to Isolate, Shut Down TEA Party: Clintons See Limitless Future
- The Optimistic Conservative – Biofuels for defense: Cronyism and the banality of evil
- The Pirate’s Cove – The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug – My Take
- David Gerstman/Le.gal In.sur.rec.tion – Al Qaeda is on the Run …to Everywhere submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Allen West –Maybe we need Michelle “Death Stare” Obama to negotiate with Iran submitted by The Noisy Room
- Mises Institute –Starvation and Military Keynesianism: Lessons from Nazi Germany submitted by The Political Commentator
- Phyllis Chessler –Beneath the burqa — a bruised and badly beaten teenagersubmitted by The Razor
- Martin In The Margins – Understanding the new Christian anti-Zionism: Part 1 submitted by Simply Jews
- David P. Goldman/ PJ Media – It’s About the Settlements, Stupidsubmitted by Joshuapundit
- Althouse –“National Security Agency officials are considering a controversial amnesty that would return Edward Snowden to the United States…” submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- House Of Marathon – Courting a Nemesis Out of Necessity: An Israeli-Saudi Alliance submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Cato @ Liberty – The Constitution Still Applies on College Campusessubmitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- David Bernstein/Volokh COnspiracy – Is Refusing to Provide Commercial Services for a Circumcision Discrimination against Jews?submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Truth Revolt –Unions Paid MSNBC’s Schultz $177,000 in 2012, $75,000 in 2013 submitted by Nice Deb
- Bob Tisdale/Watts Up With That? – Open Letter to the Executive Producers of YEARS of LIVING DANGEROUSLY submitted by The Glittering Eye
- David J. Shestokas – Natural Law and the Legitimate Authority of the United States submitted by The Right Planet
- FOX News – Tax-exempt academic group’s boycott of Israel draws firesubmitted by VA Right!
- National Journal– Politics trumped policy, truth for Obama’s reelectsubmitted by Bookworm Room
- Camille Paglia – It’s a Man’s World, and It Always Will Be submitted by The Watcher
- War Is Boring – ‘Ender’s Game’ and Maneuver Warfare submitted byWatcher