Fort Hood victims and families have been asked not to speak to the press according to Autumn Manning, the wife of gravely wounded U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Shawn Manning. It’s not clear how that request was issued. Witnesses in the trial of Nidal Hasan reportedly have an official gag order. It’s hard to reconcile a witness gag as everything that happened that day has been public – so many stories and so much time to digest it all, as Nidal Hasan’s antics has made this the longest prepared-for Military court-martial in history. On August 7, 2013 Sgt. Manning’s op-ed was published in the Washington Post. See a newly released video below.
My recovery has been long and agonizing. But the pain that has taken me by surprise has come in the nearly four years since the attack, as my fellow victims and I have been given the runaround by a government more eager to protect itself than the dead and wounded.
On the day of the attack, I was waiting for a medical exam before what would have been my third deployment overseas. I was texting my wife when I heard the shout of “Allahu Akbar!”
I looked up to see a man in Army fatigues firing a pistol. His fourth or fifth shot went into my chest. As screams broke out around me, I collapsed to the ground. The bullet had punctured my lung and I was gasping for breath. As I lay there, he shot me five more times in my back and legs. Eventually soldiers helped me get medical attention. Source: Washington Post
While the official record reflect 13 died that day, an unborn child should be remembered as No. 14.
The Obama administration’s decision to classify Nidal Hasan’s horrible act that day as simply “workplace violence” denies benefits to these victims who were inside the processing unit at Fort Hood, preparing to head to Afghanistan. Please read Sgt. Manning’s full column at the Washington Post link above. Along with the loss of so much, he explains the loss of pay.
A second piece of legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives is designed to assure the victims of Nidal Hasan receive the full benefits of soldiers in combat. Representatives Tom Rooney (R-FL), John Carter (TX-31), Tim Griffin (AR-02), Michael McCaul (TX-10), Roger Williams (TX-25) and Frank Wolf (VA-10) introduced the Justice for Fort Hood and Little Rock Heroes Act on august 2, 2013. So far, not a single Democrat is co-sponsoring the bill. Previously, H.R. 705 sought to restore benefits to these soldiers and apparently was lost in a committee somewhere in House chambers.
The Little Rock murder of Private William Long and the wounding of Private Quinton Ezeagwula by jihadi Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, a black Muslim convert (born Carlos Leon Bledsoe) happened outside of a military recruiting office. Muhammad told police he planned to kill as many U.S. Military as possible.
This should be a simple piece of legislation that quickly overrides the Obama/Holder decision to classify an attack as only “workplace violence” which began with the chilling scream of Allahu Akbar in a room full of deploying soldiers – a decision so obscene it defies all reasoning except the ongoing quest to protect Islam.
UPDATE 11:31 a.m. CDT: It should be noted that the Department of Justice says the Secretary of the Army, John McHugh decided on the charge of “workplace violence,” not the DOJ. I’ll believe that when pigs fly – although the Military’s display of political correctness over the past 4-1/2 years cannot be ignored.
Congress is adjourned now through Labor Day, but they or staff will be reading email and Tweets. Find your Congressman here and urge them to get this bill passed pronto before Hasan’s trial ends. Read more at Atlas Shrugs. Visit Truth About Fort Hood here.
Related and Background:
The Victims Islamic Jihad at Fort Hood, Texas Speak Out (video)
For past and current reporting on Nidal Hasan’s trial and the plight of victims, visit my Fort Hood Jihad page here.
To receive Maggie’s Notebook daily posts direct to you inbox, no ads, no spam EVER, enter your email in the box below.