Remember that the sequestration cuts, by law, are supposed to be “across the board.” Republicans have been asking that the decisions to cut not be “across the board,” but where it is most reasonable to make the cuts, and do less damage while still making required funding cuts. Democrats have refused that option. Never mind though, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano makes her own law and in this case, according to the following information, the Border Patrol is being gutted. She also says our borders are secure.
Begin Blogs for Border story:
Submitted by Velcro, crossposted atÂ Conservative Observer AZ.
With the sequester cuts scheduled to go into effect next week, the Department of Homeland Security has decided toÂ gut the Border Patrol.
You’ll recall that DHS Secretary NapolitanoÂ toured the Mexican borderÂ recently and announced that the “border is secure.”Â Apparently this means that funding can be cut, because it must not be needed.
TheÂ Border Patrol union websiteÂ in the Tucson sector posted these comparisons between the hit the BP will take compared with port inspectors:
- Border Patrol agents number approximately 21,394.
- Port inspectors number approximately 21,790.
- Border Patrol agents have been targeted for $248 million in salary cuts.
- Port inspectors have been targeted for onlyÂ $35 millionÂ in salary cuts.
These cuts include theÂ long-expected cuts to AUOÂ (administratively unavoidable overtime), which pays agents when their shift ends in the middle of an operation to get the bad guys.Â Â Local 2544Â estimated theÂ impact of these cutsÂ to the individual agents:
- On about March 4th the union will receive a notice from the Agency. The notice will state that they are going todecertify AUO for all agentsÂ in 30 days. This means that we will lose our 25% premium pay and our FLSA around the first part of April.
- The Agency will also call for placing all agents on one (1) unpaid furlough day per pay period starting in April. That equals aÂ 10% cut in your basic pay.
- With both of the above taking place, your pay will be cut about 40%.