The “Good Friday Shooters,” Jake England and Allen Watts were charged with “hate crimes” today in Tulsa. Jake England’s mother, Teri Alexander, is in prison. She has written a letter to an attorney pleading for help for her son (see the letter below). She says her family members, including Jake, are not racists and do not hate Blacks, and in fact, two of her grandchildren are Black. Alexander said the death of Jake’s father, Carl England, at the wrong end of a gun held by a Black man, and the suicide of Jake’s girlfriend – the mother of his infant child, has overwhelmed him and he lost his will to live at very young age of 18 or 19. At the time of the Good Friday Shootings, Jake was allegedly responsible for his infant child and his younger sister, Carly.
If you are not familiar with the story, on Good Friday one week ago today, Jake England and his friend Allen Watts allegedly (they have confessed) drove to north Tulsa (predominately Black or predominately other than White) and randomly shot 5 people, at five different places in a short period of time. All were Black. Three died. The locations of the five victims was in the vicinity where his father was shot dead about two years ago. Jake England is a Cherokee Indian – not sure how much Cherokee blood he has. In press he is generally reported to be White.
Here are the details from Carl England’s death and the shooter Pernell Demond Jefferson:
1) Pernell Demond Jefferson was a convicted felon. He pled guilty to “feloniously pointing a firearm and domestic assault and battery in the presence of a minor in a 2007 case.”
Some time about two years ago…
2) Jake England’s sister, Carly England’s boyfriend, Damien Neal, got into some kind of fracas with Pernell Jefferson
3) Neal later testified that on April 5, 2010 Pernell Jefferson came to the apartment he shared with Carly looking for marijuana at 9:30 pm at night. Neal told Jefferson they did have marijuana in their house, and Carly told Damien Neal she did not know Pernell Jefferson.
(in the first video below you will hear Jake England say that his two nephews, Carly’s children, were inside the apartment at the time. That was two years ago. The bodys are 4 and 3 years old today)
4) Jefferson forced his way into the apartment by breaking through the screen door. According to testimony, Jefferson tried to get Neal to move around the corner where there “ain’t no cameras at.” Neal said he grabbed a baseball bat and as things escalated, he hit Jefferson with it. Jefferson promised he would be back.
5) Carly called her father. Jefferson returned in “less than one minute,” “kicking at the apartment’s back door.”
6) Carl England arrived and entered the apartment through the front door as Jefferson was at the back door.
7) Jake England was outside. Carly and Neal went outside and they all followed Carl.
8) Neal testified that he could see Jefferson with a gun as Carl England approached.
9) Carl was trying to talk to Jefferson, but Jefferson kept “coming.” Carl hit Jefferson “over the head with the wheelbarrow handle,” to defend himself. Carl tried to hit him a second time, but Jefferson raised his gun and fired into Carl’s chest.
10) Carl England fell on top of Jefferson, who struggled to get up and run.
11) Jake England testified that he was outside and saw Jefferson with the gun as he tried to kick in the back door.
12) Jake did not see his father get shot, but heard the gunfire, ran to his father and saw Jefferson run.
Pernell Jefferson was out on probation of the 2007 charges. Had he served his sentence he would not have been on the loose, knocking on stranger’s doors looking for week. Carl England would not be dead.
Jefferson’s probation was revoked and he was sentenced to 6 years in prison for…burglary and possession of a firearm (and remember, he was already a felon – had he not had a firearm, England would not be dead). Carl England’s death was ruled “justifiable homicide.” How soon will Jefferson be on the street’s again, and what will he be packing?
Both Jake England and Allen Watts have confessed to pulling the trigger. They are each charged with three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of shooting with intent to kill and five counts of malicious intimidation or harassment. the “malicious intimidation or harassement” is Oklahoma’s version of a “hate crime” charge. However:
First-degree murder is punishable by death or life in prison in Oklahoma. Prosecutors said decisions about whether to seek the death penalty are usually made after a preliminary hearing. A first conviction under the state’s malicious harassment law — which applies in cases where a victim is specifically targeted because of race, religion, ancestry, natural origin or disability — carries up to a year in jail.
Does any state need a hate crime law when it comes to murder? What more can be done than to render a sentence of Death or life in prison?
I just saw the devastating news about my son Jake England’s arrest in the random shootings in Tulsa, Oklahoma yesterday evening. I am writing to plead with you to represent him because only excellent representation perhaps combined with a miracle can save him from certain death in this high profile case.
Jake has had to deal with far more than his share of burdens in his short life and unfortunately he has not had the best set of circumstances to prepare him for these burdens.
Although his father Carl and I loved him and his two sisters Carly and Cady dearly, we divorced when they were very young and Carl raised the kids mostly on his own. He was a loving parent, bur [sic] overwhelmed at times I’m sure.
I had a severe drug problem that culminated in me coming to prison nearly a decade after committing arson in an attempt to end an abusive relationship.
Our family does not hate black people. Two of my beloved grandchildren are African American. After Carl’s murder in an attempt to defend Carly and her African American boyfriend from and African American assailant, Jake had a lot of responsibilities piled on him and I think it was all too much.
Then just recently his girlfriend shot herself in front of his eyes with their baby and toddler in the room. Jake was then responsible for my youngest child Cady, his baby and his girlfriend’s small child. I could do nothing but write letters and hear about these horrible events secondhand.
I am desperate to help my son in any way I can and I believe that the media, the justice system and the wounded African American community will be so eager to make an example out of Jake that his humanity, his youth, and his core of essential goodness will be forgotten. Jake has lost the will to live, so I must have the will for him to go on and to fight for his life. Please help my son.
Mabel Bassett Correctional Center
Al Sharpton cancelled his Sunday trip to Tulsa in light of the “hate crime” charges. No need to waste his time. Jesse Jackson showed up today anyway, speaking from the pulpit of First Baptist Church of North Tulsa where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. also once preached. Ever the race baiter:
Jackson yells out to a crowd: “Are there racial tensions in Tulsa? Yes”
Jackson says he’s here to speak about equality and he will be devising a plan with Tulsa members of the NAACP and black legislators.
They will also want changes to Oklahoma laws. Source KJRH
Jackson said a hate crime “must be a felony and not a misdemeanor.” He forgets he is in Tulsa – not Chicago. When a hate crime can be one ethnicity spitting on another ethnicity, maybe a felony isn’t realistic – or maybe it is?
Jackson is also complaining that “this is not a conviction….” Well, we’re only one week out. Give us some time. Oklahoma is tough on crime. Jake England’s life is over.
In the video below you will hear attorney Clark Brewster contradict some of the numbered information above. He says Carl England was killed in front of Jake, not that Jake was nearby, and heard the shot, but did not see it. He indicates that Carly England married a Black man and had two children, Jakes nieces and/or nephews. Can’t tell if he talking about Damien Neal who is Black but is identified as a ‘boyfriend.’ Jake was 17 when his father died. Was 8 when his Mother went to prison. Jake has not seen his Mother since, but has talked to her by telephone. Jake met a woman who was older, about 2 years ago. She had two children and they recently had a child together. She committed suicide in January 2012 due to post partum depression. Brewster says Jake grew up on Tulsa’s north side and is a product of the north side – and is not racist.
I send my thanks to Sharpton for keeping the heck away.
Background and Related:
Jake England Interview (video)
Jake England’s Pro Bono Attorney Clark Brewster (video)