There were rumors of this story after Obama and Netanyahu met last week, but no real confirmation. The Sunday Times (UK) credits White House sources, and has three stories with the leads: Israel puts off attack on Iran’s nuclear sites until autumn,” “Israel puts off attack on Iran until after American election,” and US ‘offers Israel deal’ to delay Iran nuclear attack.” The last is authored by Michael Evans and Philippe Naughton. The first two are not attributed and are dated March 11th. The third is dated March 8th. I am not subscribed to their service so will quote YNetNews which refers to these articles.
Obama has been all over the Middle East visiting Muslim countries, but he has not visited Israel as President. The first two small snippets from The Times says he “might” visit this summer. Here’s the third:
…The United States has reportedly offered Israel the bunker-busting bombs and other advanced…reportedly offered by the US Administration…Israel would be supplied with advance bunker-busting…long-range refuelling aircraft. In return, Israel would agree to put off any possible attack…
Israel will only strike Iranian nuclear facilities in September or after the United States presidential elections in November, a White House official told the British Sunday Times newspaper after a meeting between Prime Minister Barack Obama last week.
September isn’t after the elections so the story is strange, unless Obama thinks he will be assured a win by September.
Obama insisted that any attack on Iran should be postponed until after the US presidential elections in November, possibly even until next spring. The source revealed that Netanyahu consented to delaying a strike, but wished to know until when. “The question is how much time,” he reportedly said.
YNetNews reports Israeli intelligence gave the White House new intel on an intercontinental ballistic warhead Iran is developing and said the nuclear program has been spearheaded by a Russian expert in Tehran.