I wrote an introduction post today of those considered among the top three candidates in the Texas U.S. Senate race: Ted Cruz, David Dewhurst and Tom Leppert. Tonight I was invited to take part in a Cruz conference call, which covered securing our borders, Constitutional compliance and his impressive endorsements, among other things. In addition to what I’ve already said today, a couple of things in tonight’s call stand out, and there are a couple of things I’ve already said that bears repeating. See a great video below.
From tonight’s call:
1. Cruz “strongly” opposes illegal immigration, “categorically” supports legal immigration. We must secure our border by doing “everything humanly possible…fences, walls, technology including infrared.” If sent to the U.S. Senate he will introduce a bill to triple the size of the U.S. Border Patrol. (This is the question I would have asked, after waiting for the good people of Texas to have their say, but someone beat me to it. No surprise.)
As Texas Solicitor General, he led a coalition to the U.S. Supreme Court to seek the strictest penalty for illegals with criminal records.
According to Cruz, David Dewhurst, the current Texas Lieutenant Governor, supported in-state tuition for illegals and helped to kill the recent bill that would have prohibited sanctuary cities in the state.
2. He will seek to cut the Departments of Education, Commerce, the IRS and the National Endowment of Arts. He supports a fair tax and entitlement reform.
3. His stance on war policy is, if and when we are called to military action, we should go in with overwhelming force and “get the heck out.” He criticized Obama on Libya saying the President has not “tried to articulate a national security interest.”
4. Cruz says Dewhurst is not a fighter, but rather sits down to reach a “middle position.”
5. A caller asked about Constitutional compliance, which he says he will make a focus of his time in the Senate. He has recently made a statement about Obama’s runaround Congress, making an unconstitutional recess appointment. The recess appointment was “excessive abuse.” Read Cruz’ Obama Disregards Congress and the Constitution here.
This week, in making several bogus “recess” appointments, President Obama once again demonstrated his autocratic arrogance, disregarding Congress and the constraints of the Constitution. His disdain for Congress – and the American people who elected them – is manifest.
6. A caller said that a friend of hers is voting for Dewhurst because of his experience in oil and gas. Cruz replied that he grew up in the Houston area with parents who owned a small energy business there.
He represented 29 members of Congress challenging Obama’s drilling moratorium on the Gulf coast, which the courts upheld (I presume after the BP Oil spill).
He led a coalition of states, defending them against the Arroyo Toad and the Protected Species Act at SCOTUS, arguing that Congress did not have the authority to regulate a toad that never crosses state lines.
7. He is concerned about the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and believes the bill overstepped Constitutional boundaries. Detaining American citizens indefinitely is “breathtaking” and “wrong.” He would not have voted for it.
He supports the Patriot Act in general but understands the widespread concern about it. He is open to examining “reasonable arguments” about the ways the Patriot Act has gone too far.
8. He said he would support the Hispanic vote by emphasizing traditional values such as faith, family and patriotism, because Hispanics are generally Conservative.
9. He participated in creating the Center for Western Civilization at the University of Texas, with much gnashing of teeth, angst (my characterization) and “pushback” from the faculty, who wanted no part of our Judeo-Christian heritage emphasized.
11. He leads fundraising, substantially, in the Texas U.S. Senate race, raising $3 Million+ from 11,000 donors, compared to David Dewhurst’s 823 donors (according to Cruz). He says Dewhurst is a very wealthy man worth over $10 Million. Such wealth will make the campaign formidable.
1. Cruz has major Conservative Senatorial endorsements: Senators Jim DeMint (SC), Rand Paul (KY), Mike Lee (UT), and Pat Toomey (PA). Leading Conservative organizations: Club for Growth PAC, FreedomWorks PAC, Concerned Women [for America] PAC, and over 200 leading Texas Republican women.
2. Cruz has considerable experience arguing before the U.S. Supreme Court as Texas Solicitor General.
3. His father immigrated to the U.S. from Cuba as a teenager. His mother was the first of her family to attend college.
4. In 14 straw polls scattered across Texas, covering the full spectrum of voters, he has averaged a margin of victory over Dewhurst of 42+ points. In contrast, Cruz alleges that Dewhurst “skipped” 19 candidate forums.
Once more I will say that all politics ARE NOT local. Every vote cast in the U.S. Senate affects my family and yours, our freedom and our quality of life. The Ted Cruz website is here. His record is here. His bio here. His blog here. Donate here.