Terrific news – reigning in this arrogant administration. Remember during the BP oil spill when Louisiana Judge Martin Feldman struck down the administration’s ban on Gulf drilling? After the judge’s ruling, Salazar simply issued another ban. Today there is news that Judge Feldman, a Louisiana federal judge, is holding the Department of Interior, in contempt of court for their unabashed disrespect for law. This is quite a story, including Salazar’s deception of documents used in the court case and his statement that Obama was involved in their decision to “move forward.”
Judge Martin Feldman’s ruling — which is stuffed with harsh words for Interior — orders the department to pay attorneys’ fees in the case against last year’s drilling ban brought by several offshore oil services companies.
Feldman is the judge who last June struck down Interior’s initial drilling ban, issued in the wake of the BP oil spill. Interior issued a new version of the deepwater ban in July that it eventually lifted in October, but permitting for deepwater projects has not yet resumed.
“Such dismissive conduct, viewed in tandem with the reimposition of a second blanket and substantively identical moratorium and in light of the national importance of this case, provide this Court with clear and convincing evidence of the government’s contempt of this Court’s preliminary injunction Order,” Fedman wrote in Wednesday’s ruling. Feldman is with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District Court of Louisiana.
Judge Feldman received death threats after his original ruling (not likely from the Tea Party) and it was necessary for him to increase security for his personal safety.
So why am I saying that Obama is also in contempt when the judge did not affirm such? Here’s why: during that whole terrible time, with the oil gushing, people out of work, the seafood industry shutdown and still suffering today, the administration asked a panel of “experts” to advise them on a ban on drilling. The experts did so. Salazar claimed the “experts” recommended a moratorium, which was a lie – and Salazar implicates Obama, saying “It was my decision and the president’s decision to move forward.
The experts, recommended by the National Academy of Engineering, say Interior Secretary Ken Salazar modified their report last month, after they signed it, to include two paragraphs calling for the moratorium on existing drilling and new permits.
”None of us actually reviewed the memorandum as it is in the report,” oil expert Ken Arnold told Fox News. “What was in the report at the time it was reviewed was quite a bit different in its impact to what there is now. So we wanted to distance ourselves from that recommendation.”
Salazar apologized to those experts Thursday.
They also said that because the floating rigs are scarce and in high demand worldwide, they will not simply sit in the Gulf idle for six months. The rigs will go to the North Sea and West Africa, possibly preventing the U.S. from being able to resume drilling for years.
True the ruling mentions only the Department of Interior, but Salazar made it clear Obama agreed with changing the wording of experts who had to sign-off on the report. Read the ruling here.
The following is the original ruling against a moratorium which leaves no doubt as to the judge’s intentions:
[Defendants] are hereby immediately prohibited from enforcing the Moratorium, entitled ‘Susension of Outer Continental Shelf )OCS) Drilling of New Deepwater Wells,’ dated May 28, 2010, and NTL No. 2010-N04 seeking implementation of the Moratorium, as applied to all drilling on the OCS in water at depths greater than 500 feet.
This week we have seen more of this Obama arrogance. A Florida Federal Court judge struck down the whole of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) but the administration is moving forward anyway. We are looking for contempt of court charges on this issue as well.