Pantex Nuclear Plant is locked down in Amarillo, Texas. Employees are being “sheltered in place.” Apparently this is a security threat. More as available. Update: The emergency was due to hunters, armed of course, seen in the fields near Pantex. The lockdown is over now.
Pantex Activates Emergency Response Organization
· The Pantex Plant has activated its Emergency Response Organization to
respond to a potential security situation. The event occurred at
· The Plant is in a lockdown status and the situation is being
evaluated in order to facilitate security actions. Pantex employees are
· Pantex’s response effort is being conducted by the Emergency Response
Organization, a highly trained group of employees with detailed
knowledge of plant operations and emergency response procedures. These
employees represent plant functions such as security, logistics,
safety, medical response, radiological assessment, firefighting,
operations and public information.
· The emergency responders’ top priorities are the safety of the
public, workers and the environment, as well as ensuring security is
· Pantex is also in the process of establishing communication links
with various local, state and federal government agencies that will
work with Pantex and communicate with the public during the response to
Pantex is a government-owned, contractor-operated nuclear weapons assembly/disassembly facility. It also manufactures high explosive components.
The plant is located 17 miles NW of Amarillo.